Michael's Birthday - 08/08/08

baby

Thursday, August 14, 2008

We're Singing the Jaundice Blues...

We took Michael to the doctor yesterday morning to have his jaundice checked. When we left the hospital on Sunday, his bilirubin count was about 10, and he weighed 7 lbs. 5 oz. The nurse at the dcotor's office weighed Michael in at 7 lbs. even, and his blood work for his bilirubin came back at 19.4, which is higher than the doctor wanted it to be. We were sent home with instructions to call a company that will send a nurse to your house and set up a jaundice lamp in your baby's bed and go over with you exactly what you need to do to bring the numbers down. Michael has to stay on the lamp at all times with nothing on but a diaper. The only time we can get him off the lamp is when it is time to feed him or change his diaper. We also have to keep him really hydrated because the lamp can cause dehydration.

A nurse came back last night to get some of his blood to see how much progress we'd made throughout the day. She called us with the results later and we found out that his numbers had dropped to 18.1. The same nurse came this morning to weigh him and check his bilirubin level again, and we found out that his numbers had dropped to 15.6 and his weight was up to 7 lbs. 5 oz.! Woo Hoo! The ideal number we're shooting for is between 10 and 12. We're hoping that the nurse will come back tomorrow afternoon and take away the lamp after all day today, all night tonight, and all morning tomorrow. I will keep you posted!

As you all can guess, I was quite weepy all day yesterday for a few reasons besides the fact that my hormones have gone nuts. First, I was scared that Michael wasn't going to stay hydrated because he was having a lot of trouble staying awake while I was nursing him (fatigue is a side effect of jaundice). Second, I was (and still am) really tired. When I get tired, I tend to lose my grip on reality. Third, my mom was leaving the next day to go back to Orlando, and I didn't want her to go. I was also sad that she wasn't going to be able to hold Michael much before she left.

I am doing much better now, and Kenneth has been wonderful throughout my emotional roller coaster ride. I was a little teary this morning when Kenneth and my mom were leaving for the airport, but I've gained control and haven't cried since (which is great considering I cried on and off ALL day yesterday). Kenneth and I have had a pretty productive day, and we have enjoyed some alone time with Michael even though we can't hold him. We've watched a movie or two on On Demand, washed some clothes, and have gotten some things put away around the house. Michael is also doing a much better job of staying awake while nursing. So today has been a very good day!

Jenn, Craig, and Harrison (my brother and his family) are coming over tonight from Atlanta to meet Michael and spend the night with us. Then, Kenneth's family will be here tomorrow evening, and his mother is going to stay for the rest of next week. So, we're still enjoying getting to spend so much time with family!

Kenneth and Michael on their way into the doctor's office.

Michael hanging out all snug on the jaundice lamp.

Here is what the lamp looks like without the blankets wrapped around it. The lamp is underneath him.

No comments: